Wednesday, December 28, 2005

This is my first stab at "Shadow Knitting" and is the scarf pattern from the book of that title. The black yarn is alternated with Noro yarn, Kochoran-36, which yes, is frightfully expensive for a scarf - in my opinion. I fell in love with shadow knitting when I first laid my eyes on a Hanne Falkenberg kit at the spectacular knitting store I visited while on tour with the La Jolla Symphony Chorus in Mendocino, CA last summer called the Mendocino Yarn shop - link here: http://www.mendocinoyarnshop.com/ Wonderful help in that shop and I could happily move there tomorrow if my own home wasn't so perfect now. Anyway, before starting on my recently purchase Hanne kit I wanted to try my hand at Shadow Knitting on something let expensive or fromidible. So, while knitting the aforementioned blanket during my son's orthodontist appointments he kept teasing me about that being his "scarf". I told him each time that it was a baby blanket. Well, for the December appointment I was knitting a poncho set for my niece and her doll - no picture - and he asked if THAT was his scarf. I looked at him and said "Do you really want a scarf?" He said sure. I reminded him that we live in Southern California and scarf weather was few and far between here but nevertheless, if he wanted a scarf I'd make him a scarf. So, I also figured that - although I think scarf knitting is as boring as watching paint dry - I could use the experience to learn a new skill. Voila! Shadow Knitting. It is nearly finished and will be ready to gift at the January appointment and hopefully I'll not be scarf knitting again for awhile. Hanne - watch out. Oh, yeah - I have another pregnant friend to take care of first. But then it's certainly time for the Hanne mermaid kit.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:30 PM

    nice resolution dude. where did you get the book yo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:31 PM

    Nice Mom, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with the resolution - it stinks. Got the book at LYS called "Common Threads" Shadow Knitting by Vivian Hoxbro

    ReplyDelete